HOW COLD LASER THERAPY WORKS AND THE BENEFITS
This is also referred to as “low level laser therapy” (LLCT). The goal of this type of light therapy is to photo-biostimulate chemically damaged cells via specific wavelengths of coherent light. Coherence means that the light-photons propagate in the same direction, amplitude and phase: This maximizes the depth of photon penetration into the targeted tissues to trigger a biological response. It is the consensus of experts that photons absorbed by the cells through laser therapy stimulate the mitochondria to accelerate the production of ATP. This biochemical increase in cell energy is used to transform live cells from a state of illness to a stable healthy state. Well over 4,000 studies have been conducted in recent years to validate the effectiveness of cold laser therapy. Cold laser treatment systems and/or instruments may be cleared y the F.D.A.
The actual biological effects that have been documented include:
- Cell reproduction and growth accelerated.
- Increased metabolic activity e.g. higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen and food particle loads for blood cells with greater production of ATP.
- Faster wound healing by stimulating fibroblast development and accelerating collagen synthesis in damaged tissue.
- Marked reduction in swelling and inflammation resulting in enhanced joint mobility.
- Increased vascular activity.
- Reduced fibrous tissue formation (i.e. scar tissue) following tissue damage from surgery, burns, cuts etc.
- Stimulation of nerve function i.e. it speeds up the process of nerve cell reconnection to bring numb areas back to life.
- Pain reduction especially following trauma or due to arthritis of degenerative joint changes.
Low-level laser therapy is a scientifically proven and effective treatment for the following injuries or disorders:
Chronic neck, knee, back, joint, elbow, wrist & finger pain, tennis elbow, Achilles tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, plantar fasciitis, shoulder injuries, bursitis.
Among its many benefits, LLLT:
- Is non-toxic.
- Has almost no contraindications
- Is non-invasive
- Creates no side effects of pain
- Offers an alternative to prescribed analgesics, anti-inflammatories and other medications.
- Reduces the need for surgery.
- Greatly speeds up tissue healing.
Dr. Cushing has more than 20 years experience using LLT.
For more information or to make an appointment telephone:
North Carolina: 704-776-4185